Ad

Tuesday, July 5, 2011

BBReview: "Fall For Anything" By Courtney Summers and Question of the Moment 17

*Question of the Moment 17 is at the bottom*

Genre: Young Adult -Contemporary
Publishing Date: December 21st, 2010
Page Count: 230
Source: Bought from Amazon
Format: E-Book

Description from Amazon:
From the author of Cracked Up to Be and Some Girls Are comes a gripping story about one girl’s search for clues into the mysterious death of her father.

When Eddie Reeves’s father commits suicide her life is consumed by the nagging question of why? Why when he was a legendary photographer and a brilliant teacher? Why when he seemed to find inspiration in everything he saw? And, most important, why when he had a daughter who loved him more than anyone else in the world? When she meets Culler Evans, a former student of her father’s and a photographer himself, an instant and dangerous attraction begins. Culler seems to know more about her father than she does and could possibly hold the key to the mystery surrounding his death. But Eddie’s vulnerability has weakened her and Culler Evans is getting too close. Her need for the truth keeps her hanging on...but are some questions better left unanswered?

Review:
I really dont know what to say about this novel. It wasn't great, but it wasn't terrible, so this makes it one of the hardest reviews to write. At the end i was just at loss over it, because i didn't know what to think about it. Yes, it is a pretty depressing book, because Eddie's Dad has committed suicide and she is trying to deal with coping and also trying to figure out why he would do it in the first place, and i was totally fine with that. It kept me reading the whole time and shed a few tears over some of the things and i could feel her pain, and her heartbreak, and her sadness with each event that goes on with the book, but the ending just blew it for me.

I feel like in the end she is exactly where she was in the beginning. Yes, there is change, but the initial plot is the same and her life hasn't had any new growth. I dont know what could be different or what Summers could have changed, but if the ending was different i would have had better feelings towards it, and it would at least have gotten 4 stars. I just dont know what to say about it. I feel like maybe the depression of Eddie's got to Summers and she just gave up in the end, because she had all these things going for her and there is a small change with her mom, but then in the end its just back to sucks-ville for Eddie's life. I just dont know.

Overall:
I really wanted to like this book and i was really liking it till it got to the end. It just didn't do it for me, unfortunately. It definitely keeps you reading and you want to know what is going to happen in the end, but for me the ending just wasnt good. I have read other reviews from people who loved it, so i vote you give it a try and decide for yourself if this works for you =]

Rating: ♥ ♥ ♥ 3/5

--------------------------------------------------------------

Question of the Moment 17

Have you ever had to deal with a suicide to someone who was close to? How did you cope? If you havent, what do you think you would do?

I did really wanna like this novel, because i have lost one of my best friends to suicide so i knew exactly where Eddie was coming from when all she obsessed over was "WHY?" When i lost my best friend, Kaleigh, i didn't know what to do. All the circumstances about it were so messed up. None of us even knew that she was depressed and was on anti-depression meds, she kept it all from us. She came to the first day of school for Sophomore year and was the happiest ive ever seen her. She ended up hanging herself that weekend, she was rushed to the hospital and lived for a day, before dying.  That next monday in class was when i was told by my principle. That was one of the worst days of my life. All i could do was cry for weeks, months. I kept asking myself why. Why wouldn't she come to us when she was in trouble, how come none of us knew she was depressed? Why didn't she think about all of her friends who would miss her SO much? I still wonder, but i've come to terms with it, i still cry everytime i think about her though. I coped by talking about her, a lot, and being around my friends to talk about the memories we had. I called her cell phone a lot and left messages for her and would post on her myspace all the time. I just coped by getting my feelings out and making sure i didn't bottle them, which it seems is was Eddie was doing in this novel, bottling it up.

Im sorry if this is too personal for you guys, but i feel like you guys who read these and respond are really good people and people i can open up with and i hope that you guys feel the same way when thinking about how to answer this one. I promise ill try not to make too many of these depressing ones =], but i didn't know what else to ask in regards to a book that is about suicide.

So how did you cope? Or how would you cope? Let me know in the comments below =]