Ad

Thursday, September 1, 2011

BBReview: "Forgive My Fins" By Tera Lynn Childs and Question of the Moment 35

*Question of the Moment is at the bottom*


Genre: Young Adult -Fantasy
Publishing Date: June 1st, 2010
Page Count: 293
Source: Borrowed from local library
Format: Hardcover


Description from Amazon:
Lily Sanderson has a secret, and it's not that she has a huge crush on gorgeous swimming god Brody Bennett, who makes her heart beat flipper-fast. Unrequited love is hard enough when you're a normal teenage girl, but when you're half human, half mermaid, like Lily, there's no such thing as a simple crush.
Lily's mermaid identity is a secret that can't get out, since she's not just any mermaid—she's a Thalassinian princess. When Lily found out three years ago that her mother was actually a human, she finally realized why she didn't feel quite at home in Thalassinia, and she's been living on land and going to Seaview High School ever since, hoping to find where she truly belongs. Sure, land has its problems—like her obnoxious biker-boy neighbor, Quince Fletcher—but it has that one major perk: Brody. The problem is, mermaids aren't really the casual dating type—the instant they "bond," it's for life.
When Lily's attempt to win Brody's love leads to a tsunami-sized case of mistaken identity, she is in for a tidal wave of relationship drama, and she finds out, quick as a tailfin flick, that happily ever after never sails quite as smoothly as you planned.

Review:
I can now officially say that i am on "Team Mermaid". Forgive My Fins was my very first Mermaid oriented YA book and i loved it. I was skeptical at first about mermaids and thought maybe Mermaids were taking it too far in the YA creature world, but no it fits in perfectly and now i love them. I thought maybe it would be a little cheesy, because i always think of The Little Mermaid when someone mentions a mermaid book, but now i have something else to link to.

Before i really get into why i like this novel i think i should hit the materialistic review first. Like i have said before, probably, i am very thorough when i read a book. I have my own little ritual where i read the back of the book to see what its about or read the little quoted reviews, then i read the title and examine the cover telling myself what i like and don't like about the cover, then if its a hardback and i remove the jacket and check out the actual book to see if they did anything fancy with it and then i read from inside flap to inside flap, not missing a single word written. So authors if you think "nobody's gonna read this acknowledgement" i will, so keep me in mind. Anyways, when i removed the jacket i had a mini freak attack. The actual book cover is bubble gum pink with blue foil writing. HOW CUTE! I almost died when i saw it. I could just get rid of the cover and have that cute little pink book on my shelf, but its not my book, and i wouldn't do that =] Also i really do like the model that is on the cover, i usually don't, but this one i really liked, especially her makeup.

So now that the materialistic parts are over lets get into the real review. So like stated earlier i was nervous to try a mermaid novel, but after getting into the first chapter i was hooked, which was silly, because Alyson Noel said something similar in her little review quote thats on the front cover. But it really is true. I loved her creepy next door neighbor, Quince, from the first time he is mentioned. I loved his character and loved his involvement in the book. I also loved the entire story line and most of the time i didn't know what was going to happen next. I have a love/don't like relationship with Lily. I love her and her innocence, but sometimes her innocence turned into air headed-ness and i wanted to shake her and say "PAY ATTENTION!! THIS IS OBVIOUSLY WHATS GOING ON!!" haha. I think overall, though, that if she didn't have that quality about her the story wouldn't have been half as good. I love that it keeps your heart tight and leaves you dying to find out what happens until the last page, that was both horrible and awesome at the same time.

Overall:
I was very surprised with how much i liked this novel. I though i wouldn't like the idea of mermaids and that it would be very cheesy, but it was actually very, very good. I cannot wait to read the second novel and already have it on hold at the library. I love the  cover, both with and without the jacket, and loved Quince the entire time. This novel definitely keeps you in anticipation over what is going to happen in the end and doesn't tell you until the last page. I would recommend this to anyone who loves romance, mythical creatures, and a book that will keep them rooting for the right guy.

Rating: ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ 5/5

----------------------------------------------------

Question of the Moment 35

Have you ever been nervous about reading a book, because you don't know if you will like the new "it" creature that they are introducing? Which creature and book was it and what did you end up thinking about it?

My recent one was obviously Mermaids, but before that i was wary to try fallen angels. I thought maybe it would touch too much on religion and i just wanted a nice read and not a heavy religion based book. The novel i was trying for the first time was Hush, Hush and i ended up loving it. Now when i see something about a Fallen Angel i pick it up immediately.

Which new creature had you wary? Let me know in the comments below =]