Ad

Saturday, October 19, 2013

BBReview: "Cursed" By Jennifer L. Armentrout

Genre: Young Adult - Paranormal
Publishing Date: September 18th, 2012
Page Count: 304
Source: Borrowed from the Library
Format: Hardcover

Description from Goodreads.com:
Dying sucks
...and high school senior Ember McWilliams knows firsthand.

After a fatal car accident, her gifted little sister brought her back. Now anything Ember touches dies. And that, well, really blows.

Ember operates on a no-touch policy with all living things--including boys. When Hayden Cromwell shows up, quoting Oscar Wilde and claiming her curse is a gift, she thinks he's a crazed cutie. But when he tells her he can help control it, she's more than interested. There's just one catch: Ember has to trust Hayden's adopted father, a man she's sure has sinister reasons for collecting children whose abilities even weird her out. However, she's willing to do anything to hold her sister's hand again. And hell, she'd also like to be able to kiss Hayden. Who wouldn't?

But when Ember learns the accident that turned her into a freak may not've been an accident at all, she's not sure who to trust. Someone wanted her dead, and the closer she gets to the truth, the closer she is to losing not only her heart, but her life.

For real this time.



Review:
Cursed was a very interesting book. It was definitely very different from what I am used to reading by Jennifer and I almost feel like this was a book that she wrote when maybe she was going through something specific, or just going through a certain writing phase, because it just doesn't seem like her writing. I don't think if I would have identified it as one of Jennifer's novels if I didn't already know she wrote it. I am not saying it was terrible, or anything, but it just wasn't up to it usual par that I have come to expect from the author.

I really felt a lot of sympathy for our main character, Ember. While reading Cursed I kept thinking about all the things Ember had to be weary about or what all she couldn't do because of her "curse". She really had to change her whole way of "living" do to the fact that everything she touches dies. I honestly don't know how she did it, and I honestly have no idea how managed to take care of her little sister so well.

The one thing that really felt off par to me about this being a Jennifer L. Armentrout book was the romance. It wasn't as steamy as it normal is. It was a very confusing and complex relationship and I never really felt that raw love between Ember and Hayden. Honestly, this book almost kind of reminds me of Twilight where they "adopt" all of these children. I won't say anymore than that about the story, but the history behind Hayden really reminded me of Twilight.

The story line was interesting, but there was just something missing the whole time. Usually with Jennifer's books I can read them in one sitting, but I found myself having to take breaks while reading Cursed, because it was just too thick sometimes. There was definitely a heaviness to the book, in terms of sadness and sympathy, but there was also just a thickness to it in regards to the background information. The book just didn't carry the lightness quality that I am used to getting from Jennifer. By the end I was also left with still having questions and not feeling very complete and finished. I almost feel like the author wasn't the one in control, but the book was. If that even makes sense.

Overall:
Cursed wasn't a terrible book, but it just wasn't what I have come to expect from Jennifer L. Armentrout. I am used to having a lightness quality to the story line where I can read the book in one sitting, but with Cursed I found that I needed to take breaks from reading it. The romance was also off key and I didn't find the familiar steaminess that I expect when reading one of Jennifer's books. Again this story wasn't awful by any means, but it just wasn't what I am used to from Jennifer and really left me still having questions.

Rating: ♥ ♥ ♥ 3/5


**The books cover, description, and info was all found on Goodreads. A link back has been provided. All other work and ideas are of my own creation. This book was borrowed from my local library.**