Ad

Friday, July 11, 2014

BBReview: "Roomies" By Sara Zarr & Tara Altebrando



Genre: Young Adult - Contemporary
Publishing Date: December 24th, 2013
Page Count: 279
Source: Borrowed from Library
Format: Hardcover

Description from Goodreads.com:
It's time to meet your new roomie.

When East Coast native Elizabeth receives her freshman-year roommate assignment, she shoots off an e-mail to coordinate the basics: television, microwave, mini-fridge. That first note to San Franciscan Lauren sparks a series of e-mails that alters the landscape of each girl's summer -- and raises questions about how two girls who are so different will ever share a dorm room.

As the countdown to college begins, life at home becomes increasingly complex. With family relationships and childhood friendships strained by change, it suddenly seems that the only people Elizabeth and Lauren can rely on are the complicated new boys in their lives . . . and each other. Even though they've never met.

National Book Award finalist Sara Zarr and acclaimed author Tara Altebrando join forces for a novel about growing up, leaving home, and getting that one fateful e-mail that assigns your college roommate.



Review:
This was such a fun read for me. Although I am in my senior year of university, I am a commuter and didn't go through the experience of going away to college and getting a roommate. Roomies gave me the experience of going away to college. I really felt both EB and Lauren's excitement and anxiety about leaving for college and I loved that it was all told in alternating points of view, even though I don't know what other way you could tell it.

EB and Lauren and two totally different people from different sides of the country and different upbringings. I absolutely loved this, because it made automatic tension in the story. EB and Lauren have to try and get to know each other and like each other in the next 65 days before they meet in person and room together. They don't have anything in common besides the fact that they will be rooming together and going to the same college. It was such a believable storyline, because you don't get to choose your roommate. You have to deal with who they assign you unless you request a new one. I loved getting to know them through the responses they sent each other and then living through each character in their alternating chapters.

The one thing I do wish we would have learned more about is the other characters in each main characters life. I wanted  to learn more about each of Lauren's siblings, how her parents got together, and how Zoe got started making Vlogs. I wanted to know more about Keyon and Mike's plan for college and how they were dealing with it all. I wanted to know more about EB's mom and see her make more of an effort with her friends Morgan and Justine. The story was still really great without knowing all this background info, but I would have really enjoyed it.

I definitely think that this is a great read for those going off to college or did go off to college. I'm sure it would both prepare you and bring back memories. For those of us who didn't get the experience of getting to know a roommate this is a great book to give you a glimpse at what it could have been like in the most positive of outcomes.

Overall:
I really enjoyed this story. I commute to college and didn't get the chance of experiencing going far away for school or getting a roommate and this story really let me "experience" that for myself. I absolutely loved how different EB and Lauren are from each other, because it makes it that much more believable. They have absolutely nothing in common, but still manage a way to become friends. I do wish there was a little more background info about the other characters in their lives, but the story was still great without. I would highly recommend this to those who are college bound.

Rating: ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ 4/5


**The books cover, description, and info was all found on Goodreads. A link back has been provided. All other work and ideas are of my own creation. This book was borrowed from my local library.**