Ad

Friday, September 5, 2014

DNF Shorts

DNF Shorts is where I give short reviews on books that I just couldn't bring myself to finish reading. These are in no way to bash the books or their authors, but to just give my short opinion on them. If any of the books I include in my DNF Shorts are books you are interested in reading PLEASE continue to still buy/rent/borrow them and form your own opinions.

---

Summary:
What if the person you were meant to be with could never be yours?

17-year-old Lucinda falls in love with a gorgeous, intelligent boy, Daniel, at her new school, the grim, foreboding Sword & Cross . . . only to find out that Daniel is a fallen angel, and that they have spent lifetimes finding and losing one another as good & evil forces plot to keep them apart. 

Get ready to fall . . .



Short Review:
The main reason I did not finish this one is  because I listened to it in audiobook format instead of reading the actual book. I think I enjoyed the storyline, but I can't be sure because all I could focus on was how much I hated the readers voice. It was way too mature and older sounding for the MC and she sounds way too proper. I just could not get into it. I almost finished the audiobook (about 85% of the way through it), but I just couldn't listen to her anymore and I could tell that it was going to end in a pretty big cliffhanger/nothing was really going to be resolved by the ending. I really think I should eventually give this a try in book form to see if I get into more and enjoy it, but who knows. 

---

Summary:
The majority of Prosaic City’s residents don’t know that their town exists on top of another place -- Necropolis, City of the Undead. For the most part, the two planes of existence manage to remain separate. And when they don’t, Necropolis Enforcement has beings in place to ensure the general human population remains blithely clueless.

Victoria Wolfe is more than just a policewoman. She’s an undercover werewolf assigned by Necropolis Enforcement to work Prosaic City Police’s Night Beat. Victoria’s comfortable working the shift where all the weird comes out to play, especially since her partner is also her perfect man. Or would be, if Victoria could ever work up the nerve to tell him she isn't like other girls.

It’s hard enough being a werewolf in disguise, but when a creature from the Depths of Hell shows up in an alley preferred by junkies, bums, and hookers, it’s going to take more than just Victoria’s special gun and werewolf skills to subdue the ancient Sumerian demon. Especially when the demon is merely the start of what appears to be a major takeover attempt by the Prince of Darkness.

Soon all of Necropolis Enforcement’s Undead Brigade is involved in the fight to stop the Prince’s Major Minions from taking over Prosaic City and the rest of the human plane. But it’s Victoria who has to face the Adversary and figure out what intricate plan Lucifer has up his wings before everyone she cares about is destroyed.

In other words, it’s just another day on the Night Beat.


Short Review:
I really wanted to get into this book, but the writing style was too amateurish. You could tell that the author had absolutely no trust in the reader to figure things out for themselves or to remember small facts, because we were constantly reminded things (usually on the same page). I only got about 50 pages in before I had to call it quits. I just could not continue to read something that was so repetitive and really didn't have good character development or personality thus far. I almost felt like all the characters were the same person with the same personality. In the beginning I felt almost as if we jumped too far into the book, because there were a lot of things told to us of what the past was like, when we kind of needed to be in the "now". I really had high hopes for this book, but the writing just wasn't strong enough for me.